Mahatma Gandhi’s contribution towards bringing peace and non-violence to this world is unparalleled. His teachings must be promoted to resolve current conflicts, avoid violence, find peaceful solutions and to make our world a better place to live.
To keep the spirit of Gandhi’s teachings alive, the Institute for the Humanities at SFU, The Thakore Charitable Foundation, and The JS Woodsworth Chair in the Humanities at Simon Fraser University will join hands in celebrating Gandhi Jayanti on October 2nd and of this year to foster the principles of truth, justice, human rights and non-violence.
The recipient of the 28th annual presentation of The Thakore Visiting Scholar Award will be Raffi Cavoukian for his for his lifelong focus on “honouring children,” education, and the promotion of an overall “culture of peace.”
The celebration will be in the form of two events:
1) The Garlanding Ceremony will be held on October 2nd, 2019 at the bust of Mahatma Gandhi located in the Peace Square on the Burnaby campus (south side level 3 of the Academic Quadrangle) from 6:45pm – 7:30pm. To celebrate Gandhi’s 150th birthday this year, there is a special theater program in the Leslie & Gordon Diamond Family Auditorium from 7:30pm – 8:15pm followed by refreshments.
We welcome all those interested to attend. This event is free and open to the public. A small reception will be held after the garlanding ceremony in the James Douglas room at SFU.
*Important Information: If you are planning on garlanding the Gandhi statue, please bring your own garland or flowers to pay your respects. If you wish to have your name called out for garlanding you must register below and you will be contacted by the garlanding committee:
Parking details (see map link below): Guests can park for free under the Convocation Mall covered parkade.
|Map of SFU and the Peace Square|
2) We are presenting the annual Gandhi Student Peace Award and the 28th annual Thakore Visiting Scholar Award at the Gandhi Commemorative Lecture on October 3rd, 2019 at Simon Fraser University Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue, Vancouver campus 580 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3:
- 6:30 pm- Introductions and Gandhi Peace Award Presentation
- 7:00 pm- Thakore Visiting Scholar Award recipient
- 8:00 pm – Reception in the Teck Gallery
We welcome all those interested to attend. This event is free and open to the public.
|Map of SFU Downtown Campus|
|Directions for Sky Train and Parking|